I’ll admit it – I’m a fool for a good seasonal cocktail, especially in the chilly months. Sure, I love my bourbon straight up, and when the cool breezes start to blow, I am ready for those glasses of hearty reds to accompany my pasta and slow-roasted beef. But I appreciate a well-made cocktail, too.
I’m not typically one to embrace a sweet cocktail. To the contrary, I have grown to love savory cocktails, of late. But I will never be one to turn down the flavors of either apples or caramel.
So this concoction is a bit sweet, but it’s really “fall in a glass”. Rich apple cider takes a bit of the edge off the sweetness of the caramel in the vodka, and the two combine to create a marriage that is reminiscent of those decadent gooey caramel covered apples while being a whole lot less messy. Adding a splash of ginger ale adds a bit of depth and the carbonation adds a some festivity to the drink.
Feeling the chill in the air? Pour the apple cider in a mug, instead, and warm for a few minutes before adding the vodka, or make a big batch in the slow cooker for parties.
- 2 cups apple cider
- 4 oz caramel vodka (I used Smirnoff Kissed Caramel Vodka)
- Splash of ginger ale (I used Hansen’s diet Ginger Ale)
- Optional for rim: Caramel ice cream topping and red sprinkles (I used Smuckers Salted Caramel).
- Stir together apple cider and caramel vodka.
- Pour into glasses of choice (go casual with some mason jars filled with ice, or get fancy with champagne flutes or martini glasses).
- End there, or for a carbonated version add a splash of ginger ale.
- Dip glass in salted caramel ice cream topping, then into red sprinkles.
- For an especially cold night, first heat the apple cider on the stove, in a slow cooker, or in the microwave. Then, add caramel vodka.