While I enjoy the festivities of November and December, I’m not a fan of bringing on the holidays before their due time (I’m looking at you, retail industry). However, as soon as Thanksgiving is on the near horizon, I’m scoping the dairy section for my favorite holiday-season beverage, eggnog. While I love it on its own, or as a seasonal replacement for cream in a steaming cup of coffee, I also adore it dressed up as an after-dinner drinkable dessert.
Smooth and creamy, eggnog is an ideal base for a variety of spiked options, but the element of spice and the flavor of coffee are some of the most ideal complements to the seasonal beverage, so why not add those in alcoholic form?
Kahlua produces a seasonal twist on their traditional rum and coffee liqueur by adding pumpkin and spices, a concoction that mixes well with the nog in this recipe. For some extra flavor and spice (and liquor), I used Florida-produced Wicked Dolphin Spice Rum. Its orange, honey, and vanilla notes add brightness as well as spicy depth.
Mixing this up is easier than (pumpkin) pie… Mix the nog (I use a light organic version off the shelf, but feel free to make your own, or go full-fat with this one) with the Kahlua and rum, pour over ice in your favorite glass, sprinkle with a little cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, and… done. Cheers!
- 2 cups lowfat eggnog
- 1.5 ounces spiced rum (I use Wicked Dolphin)
- 4 ounces Kahlua Pumpkin Spice Rum and Coffee Liqueur
- Pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- Stir together all ingredients and pour over ice into glasses of choice (rocks glasses or stemless wine glasses are ideal).
- Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.
- If you’re feeling especially festive, create a rim for the glass by combining equal parts sugar and pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon on a plate. Before pouring the nog, dip rims into water, then into the sugar/spice mixture.